Thursday, December 22, 2011

Somniliquy and Somnambulism

CPAP for Sleep Apnea Patients
Are you suffering from Somniloquy and/or Sonambulism?

Macrine my beloved spouse of 54 years talks while sleeping. Sometimes she even sings, laugh or just screams. Most of the time she just mumbles. There are times, when her sentences are clear. Since I am a light sleeper, I often engage her in a conversation while she is asleep. In the morning, I ask if she remembers our conversation and she has no idea of what happened that previous night. If she mumbles, I do not disturb her, but if she screams or starts shouting, I touch her so she can wake up. Macrine is suffering from Somniloquy - that is sleep talking.

What is somniloquy? According to sleepzine.com sleep-talking is a parasomnia that refers to talking aloud in one's sleep.

Macrine's talks can be quite loud, ranging from simple sounds to long speeches, and occur many times during her sleep. Most of the time I can not understand what she is saying. There are times however when she will hit me while mumbling angry words and phrases in Filipino.

According to a recent report from a sleep magazine, Sleep-talking is very common and is reported in 50% of young children, with most of them outgrowing it by puberty, although it may persist into adulthood (about 4% of adults are reported to talk in their sleep). It appears to run in families. This explains why my sister-in-law according to her husband also talks in her sleep.

Macrine's sleep-talking by itself is harmless, however, it wakes me up and that also disturbs my sleep. I have monitored her sleep talking using an audio recording device.

Another article on sleep talking reported that although most night time chatters are harmless, others could be graphic, even R rated. Sometimes, listeners find the content offensive or vulgar. Sleep talkers normally speak for no more than 30 seconds per episode, but some people sleep talk many times during a night. Talking while asleep is not serious, but It could lead to sleep walking, a more serious disorder (Sonambulism).

Do you have a member of your family that has somniloquy?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...